Leslie Holmes
       Home             Biography           Resume        Performances      Comments/Reviews            Contact                   Links          

To my family, friends and colleagues...thank you, more
than I can say, for your care and concern.

- Leslie

November 19, 2015

Leslie has some good news. The removal of the two long screws sticking out into her skin from the titanium bars supporting her nine fused vertebrae has worked. Now, she can lean back in chairs without any pain or discomfort.

Unfortunately, her health care focus has shifted to her chronic lung infection, called "MAC," which stands for "mycoplasma avium complex." This is a smoldering infection with an organism that is similar to TB, but is not infectious. She has probably had this infection for several years. It was diagnosed in 2013, because scar tissue was seen in both lungs in a chest X-ray taken before she was to have spine surgery. These findings led to bronchoscopy and a CT scan, which showed she has extensive disease in both lungs. Leslie now has frequent bouts of prolonged coughing. The cause of this problem is not known. But the scarring makes it difficult to treat and difficult to eliminate the mycoplasma organism.

The treatment is three potent antibiotics, which she has taken since January, 2015. Unfortunately, we were told on Tuesday, November 17th that the cultures of material, which Leslie coughs up, have remained positive. The airways in her lungs have narrowed. The treatment is focused, now, on helping her to move the secretions out with pressure on her chest and medication to dilate her lung tubes (bronchi).

We all ask why this wonderful, brave woman is being challenged with another serious medical problem. As you would expect, Leslie has remained very positive and determined.

If you want to contact her, she is using now this e-mail address: leslie@leslieholmes.net; she still receives mail from lholmessop@aol.com as well.

With our love and best wishes, Lew

October 8, 2015

On Wednesday, October 7th, Leslie came to MGH to have all of the many staples removed from her incision. It is still sore. She hopes that her back will begin to feel okay when she leans back. For now, she still needs the cushion for comfort.

This visit was the time for an emotional "goodbye " with her spine surgeon, Kirkham Wood, M.D., who begins his new position at Stanford on November 1st. He told Leslie that she was healing well and that no more follow-up is needed. He also told her: "we are very proud of you" and shook her hand three times. We interpreted that compliment to reflect, in part, how well she has handled her challenges after suffering the acute optic neuropathy in both eyes during her original surgery to repair her scoliosis in 2005.

Those of you who know Leslie are not surprised to see how well she has coped, since that serious, permanent injury to each optic nerve. She left the hospital to drive home, driving so carefully, especially where the on-ramp merges into Storrow Drive. That merge into the oncoming cars going so fast scares all of us.

So, Leslie is going solo, now. If problems arise she will need to find a new surgeon. Meanwhile the hospital will be recruiting someone to take over for Dr. Wood. She will miss especially Lisa Beyer, the P.A. who has been so helpful as Leslie has dealt with various associated problems, such as the "hernia" in her abdomen at the site of the original incision.

With love and best wishes, Lew

September 30, 2015

Good news on September 30th: Leslie has been up and around from the day after her surgery. Her walks each morning, including today's in the pouring rain, have been shorter than before her surgery. She is trying to keep up with all of her activities with the Wellesley Symphony Orchestra and the Amazing Things Arts Center in Framingham. As a result, she gets tired each day and should be taking it easier than is her want.

With some reluctance, she is taking Tylenol (extra strength), alternating with Advil. (Notice the product placement.)

On the not-so-good side, the five inch incision over her mid-thorax is still painful when she tries to lean back in a chair. Her soft cushion, which is her constant companion, does help. The incision is healing well. We are hoping that her having the zillion staples taken out on October 7th will make her back feel much better.

My take is that she is getting better, slowly, and should be much better in two to three weeks.

Leslie appreciates the many cards, calls and e-mails of support that she has received. Thank you for those.

With love and best wishes, Lew

P.S. A story in the category of good intentions: I took Leslie to the wildlife sanctuary at Broadmoor in Natick on the second day after her surgery for a short walk in that very restful place. We went out to the trail we have used many times. Somehow, we took the wrong trail back and ended up in a long loop. Our short two mile healing walk became a four mile detour that was not therapeutic. The moral of the story is, when you are going out on a short trip, be sure to always take a map, even if you think you know where you are going.

September 22, 2015

Leslie was her positive, smiling self when she was wheeled away from the preoperative surgery area at 6:00am. The surgery was to begin at 8:00am. The surgeon called me at 9:15am to report that all had gone well. He had removed the two long, protruding screws and the related strip of titanium.

She chose to come home that day. She slept all afternoon.

Her big concern was how much pain she would have, in her back, after the anesthesia had worn off. She can take only Tylenol or Aleve. With ice packs, Aleve, and time, we hope she will feel much better in a few days.

We appreciate all of the loving support.


November 21, 2014

Greetings. A lot has happened since Leslie had spine surgery on June 20th. Most important, the reconstruction of the collapsed disc space at L5-S1 has worked. Those pains shooting down her legs when she stood for only a few seconds do not occur anymore. That is wonderful. She can enjoy, once again, standing and talking to people. She feels strong enough, now, to have resumed her early morning walks of about 2 miles. She still has some discomfort in her back, made worse by twisting. So, she is much better, but her back still bothers her. She is doing phyical therapy twice a week with a therapist with whom she enjoys working.

Two frustrations from her surgery 9 years ago and again in June are a hernia in her left flank and a protrusion in her lower abdomen, which makes most of her clothes not fit. These protrusions are at the sites of the incisions, which were the first step in each surgery. She will be meeting with a GI specialist and a general surgeon about her options to "fix" these. They have been frustrating enough for Leslie to consider having more surgery.

A new challenge for Leslie is the treatment of a chronic lung infection with the smoldering organism called "mycoplasma" in the lower part of each lung. (She is not infectious. ) This infection could be related to long-standing GI reflux, which is common among singers. Whatever the cause, the infection was confirmed several times in sputum samples and in lung secretions obtained through bronchoscopy early in 2014. The CT scan of her lungs shows that this is a serious problem and her pulmonologist has urged her strongly to begin a course of three potent antibiotics. This treatment could last for 12 to 18 months. Unfortunately there is only a 50% chance that the treatment will eliminate the infection. She was given the option of delaying the treatment for a few weeks, and has chosen to begin on January 6th.

To her credit, Leslie has remained positive and uncomplaining. She has had way too much bad luck, but manages to keep smiling and is very busy with her singing, giving voice lessons, publishing interviews with famous singers in the Journal of Singing and her duties with the Wellesley Symphony Orchestra (she is President) and the Amazing Things Arts Center in Framingham, where she facilitates a monthly "cabaret open mic" program.

So, keep this wonderful woman in your thoughts as she begins a new chapter in her medical treatments in the new year. Let's hope for a positive result from the antibiotics, soon.

With love and best wishes, Lew / Lewis / Dad

September 2, 2014

Greetings. Leslie had her surgery on June 20th, so this is her 75th postoperative day.

She continues to recover slowly. The good news is that the sharp pains she had shooting down each leg when she stood for even a few seconds are gone. The surgery solved that serious problem. Now, she is working twice a week with Anita, the physical therapist whom she enjoys. Leslie is actually doing her exercises, as recommended. She learned in the recovery from her broken shoulder, and later the broken wrist, the value of "doing what you are told to do." Those exercises help in the recovery.

She continues to be frustrated by having occasional deep pains on the left side of her back. No one has any idea what causes this. The hope and expectation is that it will go away gradually. She is also frustrated by the fullness of her lower abdomen, where the anterior incision was made. Again, no one has an explanation. She reviewed this yesterday with her spine surgeon and the surgeon's PA. They have recommended appointments with the general surgeon, a GI specialist and, if necessary, a plastic surgeon. The bulging is so big that her clothes do not fit. Apparently others who have had this surgery have had the same problem.

Leslie's vision was checked by the same neuroopthalmologist who evaluated her after her original surgery. As you know from previous notes, he found that her vision is improved a bit, because she had cataracts removed from each eye. But Leslie believes that the amount of "mist" she sees around her has increased since the surgery. No one has an explanation for that, but Leslie wonders if it is not related to the same factors which caused the acute ischemic optic neuropathy during the original surgery.

She has begun to take her walks each morning before breakfast. She is not up to three miles , yet, but she is walking one to two miles each day. She has no pain while walking but is tired when she gets back home.

She gave her first voice lesson since the surgery yesterday. She has practiced her singing a bit but is discouraged that it will take some time to get back to where she was before the surgery.

The surgical bed in the living room is being returned to the company on Friday. Thus far, she has not fallen out of our bed, which is an antique (like us) and is a bit high. She tries to remember the correct way to get in and out of bed and in and out of her car. She resumed driving her "new" car last week. So far, so good.

So, Leslie's recovery continues slowly, but steadily. It will be much better when she has some answers as to why her lower abdomen is sticking out and what can be done about that.

She appreciates the telephone calls, visits, and calls she has received. Thank you for your love and support.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

August 13, 2014

Greetings. Leslie's surgery was eight weeks ago (June 20, 2014). She continues to improve slowly, but steadily. She has extended her daily walks (twice a day) much farther in our neighborhood. She was pleased to report last evening that she is also walking faster. She starts out in no distress, but begins to have the same back pains as she comes to the end of the walk. She gets relief from lying down in her bed with ice on her back for a while.

The physical therapist, whom she really likes, returns from vacation next week. Strenghthening her back and "core" muscles seems to be the priority. She has appts twice a week at the Spaulding Rehab Center in Newton Lower Falls.

She has begun to vocalize a bit and to play the piano. She hopes to return to teaching her voice students in early September.

Leslie is not driving , yet. While the neuro-ophthalmologist found her vision improved slightly, compared to a couple of years ago, she believes she is seeing more "fog" in the room. None of the ophthalmologists has ever been able to explain why her visual fields often include fogginess around the perimeter. We are concerned that that fog would impact her ability to drive her car.

While Leslie was unable to go with me to Three Mile Island last week, her many friends came through on her behalf. To quote her: "I want to thank all those who, during Lew's week away at Three Mile Island, invited me to lunch or dinner, brought food, sent flowers and cards, visited and called. I was very touched by such an outpouring. It made a potentially lonely week not lonely, but special."

We thank everyone who has been so supportive and concerned. Leslie is coming back...

Lew / Lewis / Dad

July 27, 2014

Leslie is continuing to make progress ... slow, but steady.

On her daily walks, she has a faster and more agile gait. She doesn't come back with intense pain in her back. She is not having the intense muscle spasms that kept her on edge, for fear any turn or twist would bring one on. I see "the Leslie smile" more often now, even while walking.

Yesterday, she had her first outing in her car. (I drove.) We went to the Linden Deli for her favorite half-sandwich of roast beef. (Who else wants only half a sandwich?) She enjoyed that. Then, we went to buy birthday cards and to get some cheese at the Cheese Shop. The first hour was a big success. The second hour did not go so well. By the end, she had a lot of pain in her lower back and went back to bed. Lesson learned: take it slow and easy.

Her meds remain Tylenol and prune juice. Lidocaine patches to her lower back did not help. She has always taken a pharmacopia of vitamins each morning, and that continues. (I keep recommending a single mutivitamin each day with no success.)

She begins this week her PT sessions at the local rehab out-patient center. She enjoyed working with this experienced physical therapist before her surgery and hopes it helps to continue the healing process.

Leslie has begun to go to her computer to begin to respond to some e-mails and requests. She is trying to limit these sessions to 15 - 30 minutes at a time.

Sad to say, Leslie has decided that she cannot go to Three Mile Island for Week #7, starting August 2nd. She is not sure that she could tolerate the two hour ride in the car, let alone get around the island and enjoy being there. We will miss having her there with all seven of our grandchildren (and their parents).

Phone calls, e-mail, texting and short visits are welcome. We thank everyone for being so supportive and encouraging.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

July 20, 2014

Leslie continues to improve slowly, but not as fast as she would prefer.

First, the good news. She had been concerned that her vision was worse now that before the recent surgery on June 20th. Fortunately she met last week with Simmons Lessell, M.D., the senior neuro-ophthalmologist at Mass Eye and Ear who had evaluated her initially for the symptoms of the acute ischemic optic neuropathy, which occurred as a complication of her initial surgery nine years ago. Simmons was pleased to be able to disagree with Leslie and concluded that she is seeing better now than before. The reason is probably the benefit of her having cataracts removed in Jan and April, 2014. Whew...

Also, when she stands now, she has no pains shooting down each leg, as she did before from the collapse of the L5-S1 intervertebral space. The reconstruction of that space has removed that problem. Thankfully.

The bad news is that Leslie continues to have stabbing pains in the left side of her back that can be brought on be turning or twisting. It is hard for her to avoid having these sharp episodes occur. She has been urged to take frequent walks, but when she does, her back really begins to hurt, as if that activity causes these pains to occur.

Neither her surgeon or her PA offers any detailed explanations. Rather, "this is what tends to occur." PT is not recommended until she is two months post-surgery. The only recommendatons for now have been applying cold and/or heat and taking pain meds. She is still taking the maximum amount of Tylenol that is recommended.

Leslie is happily taking telephone calls and receiving visitors. She responds to e-mail and texting through her iPhone. It is fair to say, I think, that she is dreading going back to her computer, which will show her the "to do list" she has for her many activites, especialy the Wellesely Symphony Orchestra and the Cabaret Open Mic program at Amazing Things Arts Center in Framingham. She is waiting until she is more comfortable before she sits at her computer.

Leslie did not feel comfortable going to Three MIle Island for Week #4, as we had reserved. Now she must decide if she can go for Week #7, which begins on August 2nd. Decisions, decisions. The good news is that she is getting better. It is just taking longer than she had expected.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

July 12, 2014

Greetings. Leslie continues to make progress, but the road to recovery is still bumpy, and she still has a lot of pain in her back. She stopped taking the non-narcotic pain meds a couple of days ago and now takes only Tylenol three or four times a day.

The good news remains the fact that those terrible pains shooting down each leg when she stood are no longer happening. She can walk without difficulty. The pains, primarily on her lower back on the left side, seem to occur when she twists to get in and out of bed, for example.

The professionals (surgeon, physical therapist, etc.) seem not to have decided whether heat or cold is better in this situation. So, she has been advised to use both. She uses the heating pad before she gets up to take a walk down the street behind our house and then puts ice on her back after she returns. The walking seems to be going well. She has been urged to do so often. That's a goal for this week.

We had hoped to be able to go to the AMC Three Mile Island (TMI) Camp in Lake Winnipesaukee, NH this week with our son Lewis and his family, but Leslie is just not ready to do that. We have another reservation for Week #7, three weeks from now, which we hope will be possible. Being at TMI for a week is good for just about "anything that ails you."

Leslie is still sleeping in the hospital bed in our living room. She alternates between lying there, listening to classical music on WCRB, and sitting in her favorite chair in our back room. She is happy to have visitors, answers the telephone, and responds to e-mail on her iPhone (complaining to herself about the errors, because the letters are too small for her fingers). If you come to see her, ring the doorbell and come in, rather than waiting for someone to come to the door.

She appreciates the many expressions of concern and support she has received. She is fortunate to have so many loving people concerned about her.

Leslie's webmaster will be away next week on vacation, so there will not be another update until July 21st or thereafter.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

July 5, 2014

Greetings. I am seeing an occasional "Leslie smile." I know more will be coming soon.

Fortunately her back spasms have diminished. We hope the pain meds can diminish soon, as well. Her incisions (front and back) look well-healed with no signs of infection. As Leslie tells me, "I heal well."

Leslie still has some significant pains in her back. But, her mobility has improved. She could walk down the stairs to the basement to watch a "kids movie" on Wednesday evening when Matty and Will were here.

She divides her time betweeen the hospital bed in our living room and sitting in her favorite chair in our back room. She has enjoyed texting and responding to e-mails. She has had a few visitors, which she has enjoyed. She appreciates the many cards that she has received.

Unfortunately Leslie does not feel up to going to Three Mile Island, our favorite AMC camp in Lake Winnipesaukee in NH, for Week # 4, which begins on Saturday, July 12th. We will miss seeing our son Lewis, Breena, and their children, who will be in that special place that week. But, we are looking forward to going to TMI for Week # 7 in August.

Slow, steady progress by a dear woman who is eager to be more active and pain free. Stay tuned.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

July 1, 2014

Leslie's big event today was a follow-up appt with her spine surgeon. She attended in a wheel chair at her request. The consensus was that the muscle spasms reflect most likely the incision and pulling the tissues and muscles aside for the approach to her vertebrae. She must find the balance she prefers between pain meds and constipation, the endless struggle that patients have with pain after major surgery.

The spine films showed that everything looks the way it should....no slippage or dangling titanium. One day we hope to get a copy of a representative film, so anyone interested could see what has been done to Leslie's spine. Even the X-ray technician was impressed....

Leslie tells me that she is happy to receive telephone calls and visitors. I will be at home each day. If someone is coming to visit and Leslie knows in advance, I might use your visit to go off on errands or for a bike ride.

Overall, Leslie is doing well, but is frustrated by the muscle spasms that keep her on edge, as she is still learning what triggers the sudden sharp pains. She has agreed reluctantly to resume the pain meds. (I think they are helping.)

We appreciate very much the wonderfully supportive cards and calls.

Lew /Lewis /Dad

P.S. Big treat tomorrow : Matty (age 10) and Will are coming from Three Mile for a short visit.

June 29, 2014

Some progess and some "hiccoughs" (or hiccups).

The good news is that when Leslie stands now, she does not have those terrible pains shootig down each leg. That made it impossible for her to stand for more than a few seconds before she was having intense pain in her lower back and each leg. Presumably reconstructing the collapsed disk space at L5-S1 has taken the pressure off those nerves at that level.

Unfortnately, since the last update a couple of days ago, Leslie has begun to have some intense pain from turning, standing up, or reaching with her arms. What is causing that? Is it some type of muscle spasm? How is it related to the surgery? Why did she not have this pain during the first five days after the surgery, while she was in the hospital ?

She is taking pain meds again and is applying heat to the area in her lower back. She is not sure that anything is helping.

Her first follow-up appointment with her surgeon is on Tuesday. The first step is to take X-rays of the area of the surgery. It will be reassuring to know that if there is no evidence that the hardware has moved or doesn't look right. Then, we hope Dr. Wood has some answers and suggestions for Leslie.

So, stay tuned. More updates after the appt on Tuesday.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

June 27, 2014

There we were on Phillips 22 , preparing to go home. Then, Leslie had a sudden burst of a rapid heart rate. The nurses came in a quickly did an EKG, with an immediate computer-based interpretation. So, she called her PCP, Dick Pingree, who requested an Internal Medicine evaluation. By that time her heart had returned to a normal rhythm. This episode was not a total surprise as she has had a few of these over the years. However, this was an ideal time to get it evaluated. The young residents came to see her and , then, brought along their Attending physician. They concluded that she had had an episode of atrial fibrillation. She was given one of the medication which I take each day and is to have a more complete work-up in the next few weeks. Ironically the NY Times had an article on that day on the "hidden episodes" of atrial fibrillation which can be unrecognized until the person has a stroke.

Some of you know that I had atrial fibrilation a few years ago. I finally had an ablation procedure to get rid of the ectopic sites that were messing up my heart rhythm. But, we must ask the obvious question: is atrial fibrillation infectious?

This side trip into cardiology made our departure late. But, we got home about 5:30pm on Thursday. We called the man bringing the bed for Leslie (that was placed in our living room), who arrived soon thereafter. This bed is much lower that the bed on which she and I sleep. She will use it until she is able to climb up on her usual bed.

Leslie wanted to go for a walk yesterday, a sign of how well she feels. But, the visiting nurse and the visiting physical therapist took over her afternoon. Then, it rained. So, we will try again today. It will be a short walk. But, it is an important symbol. Leslie is eager to return to having her walk each morning before she eats breakfast.

She is delighted that she can stand without any shooting pains down each leg. In fact, she sent an e-mail today to the spine surgeon thanking him for this successful surgery. She confided to me that she had doubted that the repair would take away the pain.

She is understandably sore in the area of the long incision on her back and in her abdomen. She is sleeping well and longer than usual. She is not yet ready for visitors, but I bet that will change soon. She has begun to take telephone calls and is responding to e-mail on her iPhone.

Leslie appreciates very much the calls, cards and e-mails with love and support for her recovery that she has received.

Thank you, Lew

P.S. I am proud to report that I am getting good marks from my patient in my role as her "male nurse."

June 24, 2014

Leslie is doing well, very well.

The critical developments have been:

She discontinued opiate pain meds early on Day # 4; since then, she has used Tylenol 3 or 4 times a day; she is more alert and does not seem to be in significant pain when she gets in and out of bed.

She began walking around the entire floor (Phillips 22) with a walker on day #3. By today, she is zooming around without the walker.

Her physical therapist told her that today was her graduation day. "Cap and Gown Day," she called it. She said that she should not use the walker any more.

In the Recovery Room she looked, to me, pretty pale. Her hematocrit was 20, whereas it should be about 36. She has had two blood transfusions and her 'crit is now 26. She takes iron each day as part of the amazing array of vitamins she takes each day. With this treatment, she should build up her blood count without difficulty.

Leslie is pleased that she will be going home, not to a Rehab Hospital. We bet that will occur tomorrow (Weds.), but await the final decision by her spine surgery team.

I brought in Leslie's iPhone today. She has used this to go through some of her e-mail messages. I have called a few people at her request and she has enjoyed talking to them. Anyone who wants to talk to her before 8:30 pm tonight can do so by calling: 617-724-6264. She has not made a decision about having visitors, The way the system seems to work, she will be ready to have visitors at about the same time that she is discharged home.

Leslie is delighted with how well she has recovered. Most important, her vision seems to be okay...the same as before the surgery. Second priority, when she stands and walks around the hospital ward, she no longer has the pain in her lower back nor the pains shooting down each leg. She is eager to resume her three mile walk each morning before breakfast. It will be interesting to hear her spine surgeon's reponse to her question about doing that again. She sees him about two weeks after she leaves the hospital.

Three cheers. We have a successful 7 hour surgical procedure and robust recovery by a very deserving, wonderful woman.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

June 22, 2014

Leslie continues to do well in her recovery. She was groggy, as expected on Day #2, but has become more of her usual self gradually.

Because she is recovering, she gets only a "clear liquid" diet, which doesn't give her many calories. I hate to think that she will lose more weight.

I was very pleased to see her walking very well around her hospital floor twice today. She reported having no pains shooting down her legs, which were the first signs that the pressure on the nerves at the L5-S1 intervertebral space has been relieved.

I learned from Leslie that the surgery lasted 7 hours, not 5 hours, as had been predicted. Apparently her spine surgeon decided to replace the titanium hardware that he had inserted 9 years ago. So, the bandage on her back is about 15-18 inches long. I haven't seen the incision, yet.

She enjoyed talking to Lewis, Will and Robbie on Saturday, but is not ready, yet, to receive calls, in general, or to use her cell phone or to do any texting. She enjoys the peaceful video and sound from outdoor scenes (mountains, rivers, running water, snow, and fall foliage), a program that runs constantly on her T.V. I tried to ge her to watch the Red Sox game yesterday, but we didn't get to it before the ending. Since the Sox lost again, she wasn't interested in the recap and postmortem analysis. I'll try again today. If Leslie doesn't want to watch the Red Sox, you know that her energy level is still low.

Our thanks to Andy for posting these updates. I'll send along another soon. To reach me, call 781-248-3185.

Leslie appreciates the concern and best wishes from everyone who contacts us. She sends her love to each of you.

Lew / Lewis / Dad

June 20, 2014

We got to the Wang 3 Perioperative Care Center (how's that for a fancy name) at MGH at 5:30am today (06-20-14).

Leslie was her usual friendly self and endeared herself to the woman who checked her in, gave her the gown to put on and put ID braclets on one leg and one arm. We asked, "Why two ID badges. Does that mean that they might separate her leg from her arm and need to know which ones go together?" The woman assured us that that was not the issue; one just might come off.

A nice young man, about 15 years old, came and took her in a wheel chair to the anesthesia staging area outside the OR about 6:15am. Nine years ago she waved as she left and was cheerful. This time she was concerned and quiet.

About 4:00pm, I talked to her spine surgeon, Kirk Wood, who told me that everything went according to what had been planned. He said she was pretty sleepy and couldn't really communicate. I found a native guide in scrubs who managed to help me find her in the expansive area of the Recovery Room at about 5:00pm. She was still asleep. But, when I struggled to name the pain medication she tried yesterday (that seemed not to make her sick) she spoke up and gave the name clearly. So, her hearing and her brain were working behind those closed eyes.

At 6:00 pm, our friend Verne Caviness, the ultimate staff neurologist and a friend of my brother in medical school (HMS), saw her about 6:00pm and reported that she seemed okay to his exam.

It is now 7:00pm. The Recovery Room nurse Cindy paged me to report, "Your wife is awake and doing well; going to Phillips 22." I called her and asked if Leslie could see. She thought she could, as Leslie had commented on her red hair, which is correct. So, glory be, that suggests that Leslie's biggest concern about further damage to her optic nerves has not occurred.

I'm going up to Phillips 22 now (7:30pm), but I don't expect to send more reports until tomorrow. I bet she won't be that talkative or observant until then.

It is looking like a good outcome for a wonderful woman who deserves, so much, some relief of her pain. Stay tuned.

Lew, Lewis and Dad

back to top